Picchetti Winery historic buildings
Interpretive Exhibit in Picchetti Ranch Open Space Preserve
Share a photo and tell others about your adventure.
Report incorrect or missing information.
Picchetti Winery was built in the late 1890s, is currently leased to and operated by a private party. Visitors are welcome to enjoy public tastings in the historic building or on the adjoining picnic areas.
For information on hours and events, visit the Picchetti Winery website.
A picturesque fragment of Santa Clara County history lives on at the Picchetti Ranch Area. The area, named after brothers Vincenzo and Secondo Picchetti, dates back to the 1800s when Vincenzo emigrated from Italy and shortly thereafter purchased a parcel of land on the ridge of what he referred to as "Monte Bello," Italian for beautiful mountain.
The brothers planted vineyards and orchards here that would become the main livelihood for four generations. Production of the wine began in 1877 and, in 1896, the family invested their money into the development of the main winery that remains today along with the other now historic buildings onsite. Originally bought by Vincenzo's son John, the peacocks that continue to wander the grounds are a reminder of another time when the ranch was filled with various animals and livestock. During prohibition, the family sold portions of their land and relied on income from the prunes, apricots, and pears that grew in the orchards, and on the horses that boarded on the ranch. Eventually the land and business ceased to be profitable for the family.
When the District acquired the 308 acres of land property in 1976, the winery and building were in a state of great disrepair. Support from other groups began the process of restoring the historic buildings, which are listed in the National Registry of Historic Places. The former homestead, ranch, and operating winery, now leased to a private party, are at the edge of the 308-acre Preserve. Special Thanks to the Santa Clara County Historical Society, the California Office of Historic Preservation, and the previous lessees Ron and Rolayne Stortz, this special place has a new lease on life.