RCA Community Park
RCA Community Park (48.1 acres) is located at 1400 W RCA Park DR. This park began as Thomson Community Park with the donation of 48.6 undeveloped acres on the city's southwest side by Thomson Consumer Electronics in October 1991. The company made the donation in recognition of the partnership forged between the residents of the community and this major industry.
In 1992, a $75,000 Land and Water Conservation fund grant was awarded to the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department for partial development of the park.
The first phase of development, including tennis and basketball courts, paved interpretive trail, and playground, was completed in 1995.
In December 2009, Bloomington resident Gib Apple approached the Board of Park Commissioners about changing the name of the park from Thomson Community Park to RCA Community Park (the local RCA manufacturing facility in Bloomington closed in 1998). Thomson Consumer Electronics released the specifications in the deed that required the park to be named Thomson, and the name of the park was changed to RCA Community Park in December 2009. A new playground was installed in November 2012 with a $205,600 Community Development Block Grant.
Report a problem at RCA Park here.
Rules & Regulation
Interpretive walking trail is accessible. Shelter and parking are accessible.
Amenities and Accessibility in RCA Community Park
- Approximately 50 to 75 parking spaces within the park
- Seasonal, unisex restrooms near playground; open seasonally
- Interpretive walking trail is accessible. Shelter and parking are accessible.
- A new accessible playground was installed at RCA Community Park in 2012.
The RCA Community Park Large and Small Shelters are reservable. Shelter reservations can be made online, or in person at the Parks and Recreation office (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) located inside City Hall at 401 N. Morton St. Suite 250 in Bloomington. For reservation information or to check availability, contact the Bloomington Parks and Recreation office at 812-349-3700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org OR reserve a shelter online by clicking here.
- Small Shelter$53 weekdays/$56 weekends and holidays. Located in RCA Community Park just off RCA Park Drive. Maximum capacity 50 people.
- Large Shelter$61 weekdays/$71 weekends and holidays. This shelter has adult and children's picnic tables, group grills, electrical outlets and lights, and is wheelchair accessible in a woodland setting. Maximum capacity 80 people.
- Baseball/softball fields: Two grass fields with backstops, appropriate for baseball, softball, or kickball games.
- Basketball courts: four goals/two courts near the parking lot on RCA Park Drive
- Playfields: open green space north of the parking lot
- Tennis courts: Three courts
- Pickleball courts: Two pickleball courts alongside the tennis courts. Bring your own pickleball and paddle.
- Early History Trail (0.7 mi.) begins near the tennis courts and proceeds south into a wooded area. The trail extends around the maintained section of the community park, detailing the natural and cultural history of the area.
- Thomson Woods Trail (0.74 mi.) Two intersecting loops make up this wooded trail. The trail starts from the Early History Trail and wanders through the forest and a clearing. The trail contains a few interpretive signs and ends at the Small Shelter.