Paul & Thelma Ambeau Memorial Forest
Like so much of New Hampshire, this land was all cleared for pasture by early settlers and remained in that condition until some time in the early 20th century. It then was abandoned from farming and gradually reverted to forest predominated by white pine. When Quentin and Mary Hutchins owned the property in the later half of the 20th century, they managed it for forest products, much of which Quentin harvested himself. He had a small saw mill on his adjoining house lot. The adjoining Ambeau Forest has a similar history of land use, but with slightly better soils has hosted a more productive forest.
Quentin and Mary Hutchins were among the earliest New Hampshire landowners to enroll in the Tree Farm system, a program that recognizes good forestry and land stewardship. After reading about a gift of land to the Forest Society in the local newspaper, the couple decided that the best way to ensure that their land would continue to be a Tree Farm and remain available for conservation education and recreation was to donate their property to the Forest Society. Nearly 20 years later, Paul Ambeau decided to donate the adjoining 20 acres that had been in his family since 1939. This forest was also well managed, and at the time of Mr. Ambeau’s donation, it had mature white pine ready for harvest.
- This property is open dawn to dusk
- Carry out all trash
- Dogs must remain under control and owners must pack out all dog waste
- No motorized wheeled vehicles
- No camping
- No Campfires
- Hunting and fishing are allowed
- Leave natural and cultural features undisturbed
*WINTER ACCESS: The parking at this property is not plowed.*