Kaʻula Island Seabird Sanctuary
Ka‘ula Rock is a small island 23 miles west southwest of Kawaihoa Point on Ni‘ihau. Ka‘ula is .7 miles long, about 540 feet high, and and has an area of about 130 acres. Around 100,000 seabirds of 18 different species nest on Ka‘ula Rock such as sooty terns, brown noddies, boobies, and wedge-tailed shearwaters. The variety of seabird species has given the Ka‘ula Island the designation as a seabird sanctuary, that is closed to the pulic.
Ka‘ula Rock has no beaches for landing, and there are steep cliffs on all sides of the island. A large sea cave is located at the northwestern end of the island. The first climb that was documented of Ka‘ula Rock was made in 1925. This exploration was directed by lighthouse superinetended Fred A. Edgecomb, with a party that landed on the island on July 10th. The party worked until July 21st, bulding a trail and ladder to the summit. The lighthouse was eventually put into commission in 1932 and operated until 1947. Both the trail and ladder have long since washed into the ocean. Abundant unexploded ordnance due to the Navy using the island as a target area in the past.