Gay Head Lighthouse
The first lighthouse on the Vineyard, erected due to increased maritime traffic connected to the whaling industry. The light was first turned on November 7, 1799. See http://gayheadlight.org/about-... for a good history. In 2015, the lighthouse was moved back 134 feet to save it from collapse due to the erosion of the cliffs.
Take in views of Vineyard Sound, Rhode Island, Chilmark and Aquinnah, including the rare coastal heathlands along the south shore. A short trail and boardwalk lead to the shops at Aquinnah Circle.
Park at the Town lot, near Aquinnah Circle.
open Memorial Day - Columbus Day. See website for hours and days open.