Christiantown Woods Preserve
- Owned By
This property includes the Christiantown chapel and nearby Wampanoag burial ground. Christiantown was a block of land, one-mile square that was given to four “praying Indians” by the sachem Josias of Takemmy in 1659. It was whittled down over the years and sold off to European settlers. Of note is “Saddle Rock” boulder, in the shape of a saddle. It was transported from the mainland by glaciers 20,000 years ago.
From intersection of Indian Hill and Christiantown Roads, go up Christiantown Road 0.6 miles; trailhead is just past the chapel.
Sunrise to sunset