Stevens Creek Shoreline Nature Study Area
Stevens Creek Shoreline Nature Study Area is a birders paradise. At this 50-acre bayfront preserve, located adjacent to Mountain View’s Shoreline Park, visitors can view a wide variety of waterfowl and shorebirds.
Construction of the salt-evaporation ponds to the north removed the marsh from tidal action. There is no indication that the property was used for salt production, but it may have been used for hunting and grazing. The District used a matching grant to acquire this property from POST, which received it as a gift from Leslie Salt.
Rules & Regulation
- Hours: Open half an hour before sunrise to half an hour after sunset.
- Dogs: Dogs are NOT allowed in this Preserve. For information on dog-friendly preserves visit the Dog Access page. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Midpen accommodates service dogs in Preserves wherever we allow public access.
- Bicyclists: Bikes are allowed on designated trails in this Preserve. Helmets are required for all riders at all times. Please observe the 15-mph trail speed limit (5-mph when passing or approaching blind turns). For more information visit the Bicycle Access page.
- Equestrians: Horses are NOT allowed in this Preserve. Helmets are recommended for all equestrians. For information on preserves open to horses visit the Equestrian Access page.
- Groups: For safety reasons, permits are required for all groups of 20 or more people.
- Permits: A use permit is required for any activity or event which: may be attended by twenty (20) or more people; OR is advertised or noticed in any publication, poster, electronic posting or flyer; OR requests/requires a fee be paid for participation. Visit the Permit page for more information.
- Fires: Fires are prohibited on preserves.
- Smoking: Smoking is prohibited on preserves.
- Weapons: Weapons of any kind are prohibited on preserves.
- Plants and Animals: Please leave plants and animals undisturbed. This not only preserves the natural environment, but is also a safety precaution.
- Water Areas: Swimming wading, or engaging in any water-contact activity in any water areas of the District is prohibited.