El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve
More than 36 miles of multi-use trail are available for exploration at this 2,817-acre Preserve. While extremely popular with bicyclists, it also has lots of hearty hiking and horseback riding opportunities. Visitors will find mixed evergreen and redwood forests, creekside trails, coastal and forest views, and special features, such as rare sandstone formations.
Please note: This Preserve is closed to all off trail use.
Bike and Equestrian Access Limited: Activities may not be designated on all trails within the Preserve-- always refer to the map and trail signage for where the activity is permitted. No Dogs Allowed.
Rules & Regulation
Sierra Morena Trail • 0.3 mi.: This trail travels through a lush mixed evergreen forest. Please note this is a narrow trail and a popular mountain biking destination.
Visit the Easy Access Opportunities page for additional information.
- Hours: Open half an hour before sunrise to half an hour after sunset.
- Dogs: Dogs are NOT allowed in this Preserve. For information on dog-friendly preserves visit the Dog Access page. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Midpen accommodates service dogs in Preserves wherever we allow public access.
- Bicyclists: Bikes are allowed on designated trails in this Preserve. Helmets are required for all riders at all times. Please observe the 15-mph trail speed limit (5-mph when passing or approaching blind turns). For more information visit the Bicycle Access page.
- Equestrians: Horses are allowed on designated trails in this Preserve. Helmets are recommended for all equestrians. For more information visit the Equestrian Access page.
- Groups: For safety reasons, permits are required for all groups of 20 or more people.
- Permits: A use permit is required for any activity or event which: may be attended by twenty (20) or more people; OR is advertised or noticed in any publication, poster, electronic posting or flyer; OR requests/requires a fee be paid for participation. Visit the Permit page for more information.
- Fires: Fires are prohibited on preserves.
- Smoking: Smoking is prohibited on preserves.
- Weapons: Weapons of any kind are prohibited on preserves.
- Plants and Animals: Please leave plants and animals undisturbed. This not only preserves the natural environment, but is also a safety precaution.
- Water Areas: Swimming wading, or engaging in any water-contact activity in any water areas of the District is prohibited.