7. Poamoho PHA Check Station (Hele Loa Access)

Hunter Check-in Station in Ewa Forest Reserve (Poamoho Section)


Station is a constructed mailbox located just past the gate of the entrance to the 4WD road; just off the Paalaa Uka Pupukea Road. The Hunting Rules and PHA Map signage is located further up the 4WD road which will indicate the start of the PHA. Sign in sheets and pens are provided for this station. Access by permit and lock combination

*No Restrooms

The Ewa Forest Reserve (Poamoho Section) delivers a diverse opportunity for recreational hunting which include two ungulate species (feral pig and goat).

The area offers game mammals (feral pigs and feral goats) to be taken by rifles, shotguns, handguns, and archery (dogs are not permitted). There is no season limit, two pigs and two goats of either sex per hunter per day is the bag limit. Open hunting period is year-round. To find out the open hunting days, contact DOFAW Oahu Branch for information (or the phone number below). More hunting information for game mammals can be found on Exhibit 3.

Helpful Links:

Hunting License

Game Mammal Hunting Rules (Ch. 123)

Allowed Activities
Bow Hunting
Rifle Hunting
Wildlife Watching
Trail Running

Additional Information


DOFAW manages public hunting on all Forest Reserve System lands. DLNR’s Division of Conservation and Resource Enforcement (DOCARE) carries out enforcement of hunting regulations (Chapter 122 Rules Regulating Game Bird Hunting, and Chapter 123 Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting). General hunting regulations can be found in Hawai‘i Revised Statutes Title 13 Chapter 121. Current information regarding hunting rules, seasons and bag limits for all game species can be obtained by contacting the DOFAW Oahu office at 2135 Makiki Heights Dr. Honolulu, Hawai‘i, (808) 973-9782. All persons are required to have a valid Hawai‘i hunting license on their person to hunt or have a bagged game mammal in their possession. Hunting licenses may be purchased online from http://www.ehawaiigov.org/DLNR/hunting/, from any DOFAW office or from any registered hunting license vendor. All hunting license applicants must show proof of having successfully completed a hunter education course that is recognized by the National Hunter Education Association.