White Hill/Loma Alta Open Space to Lucas Valley Open Space
- Owned By
Loma Alta is a Marin County landmark and one of the county’s highest peaks. It divides the county’s four major watersheds: Miller, Corte Madera, Lagunitas, and Nicasio Creeks. This Ridge Trail section climbs and descends open grasslands with spectacular 360-degree views at the summit. It’s a steep, rocky, and exposed old ranch road, best traveled on cool mornings in summer or bright sunny days in winter.
- From: Sir Francis Drake Boulevard in Fairfax
- To: Lucas Valley Road in Nicasio
- Length: 4 miles one-way; car shuttle possible.
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,040 feet/800 feet one-way
- Accessibility: Hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers
(This trail description is excerpted from the 2019 Guidebook. For details on all trails, trailheads, and more, buy the book from Wilderness Press. For more resources to plan your trip, visit our Trail Tools page.)