Pinole Valley Watershed
- Owned By
These infrequently used trails provide expansive views of the relatively untouched Pinole Valley Watershed, and the Bay Area landscape beyond. Covering 3,681 acres, the watershed lands were purchased in the 1950s for a potential reservoir site. The open grassland offers much scenery, but the ranch roads can be steep in places. The first section up to Fernandez Ranch is part of the Carquinez Strait Scenic Loop Trail. There is little shade, so take the hike or ride in cooler weather.
- From: Pereira Road in Martinez
- To: Pinole Valley Road in El Sobrante
- Length: 6.5 miles one way for hikers and equestrians; 6.9 miles one way for multiuse route; car shuttle possible.
- Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,195 feet/1,175 feet for hikers and equestrians, 820 feet/975 feet for moun- tain bikers
- Accessibility: Hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers with trail-use permits
(This trail description is excerpted from the 2019 Guidebook. For details on all trails, trailheads, and more, buy the book from Wilderness Press. For more resources to plan your trip, visit our Trail Tools page.)