Auburn State Recreation Area (Auburn Dam Construction Site): First Day Hikes
This easy, out-and-back hike takes attendees to the Auburn Dam construction site, high above the North Fork American River. Although dam construction was halted in the early 1980s, the Auburn Dam remains a congressionally authorized project. Attendees will learn about the history of the Auburn Dam project and the forces that have hindered its construction. Pets are not allowed on this hike. The hike is 2 to 3 miles and lasts between 2 to 3 hours.
- Date and time: January 1, 2022 at 9am.
- Where: Auburn Dam Construction Site
- Parking: Oregon Hill Parking Lot (Auburn, CA – Placer County)
- Ages: All ages are welcome. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Preparation: Dress in layers and wear good hiking boots/shoes. Bring water and snacks.
- Special instructions: Heavy rain will cancel. Bring a park map and compass if you have one.
- Contact: For the Quarry Trail, email firstname.lastname@example.org; For the Auburn Dam Construction Site hike, email Erik.Taylor@parks.ca.gov.