Published on December 30, 2022
First Day Hikes 2022
What a better way to kick start the new year than by getting some fresh air and enjoying the outdoors with the Annual First Day Hikes! California State Parks will participate at parks across the state in this national-led effort that encourages individuals and families to experience the beautiful natural and cultural resources found in the outdoors with a seasoned guide so that they may be inspired to take advantage of these treasures throughout the year.
Dedicated docents, volunteers and staff will show visitors the wonders of California’s state parks. Distance and rigor will vary per hike/activity, so visitors are encouraged to check out details of start times and description of hikes (detail available below).
Whether you are an experienced outdoor enthusiast or a new one, we look forward to seeing you in California’s park trails, beaches, mountains and the deserts but ask that you recreate responsibly. Visit the latest COVID-19 guidelines and additional safety tips for more information.
First Day Hikes
Here is a list of state parks that are hosting First Day Hikes but do not have outing routes available in the app:
- Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- Carpinteria State Beach
- Caswell Memorial State Park
- China Camp State Park
- Crystal Cove State Park
- Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
- Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area
- La Purísima State Historic Park
- Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park
- Millerton Lake State Recreation Area
- Natural Bridges State Beach
- Palomar Mountain State Park
- San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area
- Santa Susana Pass State Historic Park
- Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve
- Wilder Ranch State Park
To view more information on each of these, take a look at the First Day Hikes 2022 page on the California State Parks website.
At the bottom of this screen, you will find a scrollable list of the First Day Hikes that have outing routes available here in the app. Tap through to view detailed information about each, including routes, general information, and more.
Participate in the Challenge
This year, California State Parks is also making the First Day Hikes available as a challenge. You can participate in the challenge starting midnight January 1, 2022 and ending midnight January 2, 2022.
To participate in the challenge:
- Go to the "Challenges" tab on the home screen of the CA State Parks community (or just tap here) on January 1, 2022
- Tap the "First Day Hikes 2022" card
- Tap the "Participate" button
- Read and accept the "Terms & Conditions"
- Complete one or more of the challenge tasks by tapping on a task card and checking-in to either an outing or a state park (Note: to check-in to either an outing or a state park for the challenge, you'll need to be physically located within a certain distance of the location.)
When checking-in, you can optionally add a photo and/or description to your check-in to share your experience with both California State Parks and with other adventurers in the CA State Parks community.
30 Related Locations