Add your Organization to OuterSpatial. Learn more here.

Phleger Estate

Area

Overview

  • Directions

    Loading...
  • Size

    1223.84 acres

Additional Information

History

From Private Estate to National Park Herman Phleger, a respected San Francisco lawyer, and his wife Mary Elena Phleger bought the large country house above West Union Creek (then known as Mountain Meadow) in 1931. They were early supporters of the Save-the-Redwoods League and in 1994 Mary Phleger sold the estate to the Peninsula Open Space Trust. The land was later turned over to National Park Service management.

The Logging Industry After gold was discovered at Sutter’s Mill in 1848, San Francisco’s population exploded. The need to build homes, hotels, businesses, and other buildings helped fuel a lucrative logging industry, including Phleger Estate.

Steam Mills Union Creek, which winds along the estate’s eastern edge, once powered more than a dozen mills. The mill operations were seasonal during the wet winter months. From 1852-1855, entrepreneur Willard Whipple logged the area and traces of the upper and lower mill still remain on site today.