- Owned By
Complete renovation of the eastern portion of Los Altos Park leads off phase 1 also adding another softball field. This includes everything east of the access road from Lomas Blvd. NE to the Albuquerque Garden Center and Los Altos Pool.
Phase 1 improvements include:
- Demolition and reconstruction of the softball fields
- Construction of 5 new softball fields with 300’ outfield fences with up 150 spectators per field
- Construction of a new Restroom and Community Building with concessions, multipurpose meeting rooms to support regional softball tournaments and community events
- New and improved vehicle access within the park and new parking around the perimeter of the complex to avoid pedestrian conflicts
- Construction of a pedestrian “spine” or promenade running through the middle of the complex with seating, shade and food truck parking for regional tournaments and community events.
Phase 2 will add other improvements, including:
- Construction of a signature BMX Pump Track Facility, suitable for hosting regional and national competitions, on NM Department of Transportation-owned property at Easterday Drive NE.
- Construction of a new dog park in southeast corner/south side of the park
- Construction of a 20 new horseshoe court capable of hosting regional tournaments
- Construction of a new playground to replace the current one
- Continuation of the Phase 1 pedestrian spine connecting the softball complex to the pool, skate park, horseshoe complex, dog park and BMC pump track
- Continuation of improved vehicle access loop to new primary signalized park entrance and Lomas Blvd. NE and Easterday Dr. NE
- Additional parking construction to support all of the above improvements and provide overflow parking for large softball tournaments and community events.
With demolition underway, Phase 1 construction bids will go out this summer with construction anticipated to start early fall 2021 with construction to be completed in the summer of 2022 with an estimated investment of update $13 million. Phase 2 design continues with construction scheduled at a future date. The estimated cost of Phase 2 has not been determined.
The tennis courts at Los Altos will not be returning. Parks and Recreation oversees dozens of courts for both tennis and pickleball across Albuquerque.